Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bonjour Magnolia Crayon-Resist Tutorial

The card that I posted yesterday..."Bonjour Magnolia"...was made using the crayon-resist technique. I attached a link to splitcoaststampers.com in case you wanted a more in-depth tutorial. However, I did my best to take a few pictures to show the process in creating this card. I want to note that I made an error in mentioning the green I used. It was Mellow Moss, not Certainly Celery...my bad!



Anyway, this first picture shows the majority of Stampin' Up! products that I used. If I left any out in the picture, I promise I will explain in detail what I used. First off I cut a 5 1/4" x 10 1/2" piece of Barely Banana card stock, folded it and sharpened the crease using a bone folder. The additional pieces cut were as follows: Mellow Moss 5" x 5", Regal Rose 4 3/4" x 4 3/4" and glossy white card stock at 4 1/2" x 4 1/2". There is an additional piece of glossy card stock to stamp the word "Bonjour" on...2" x 2" would be sufficient.
Using Stazon black ink stamp the word Bonjour (from the Carte Postale stamp set) onto the center of your small piece of glossy card stock and set aside. For a large stamp like "From The Garden" I prefer to flip the stamp over and ink it as shown below. This way I can be sure to get the stamp completely inked.
Then I place the 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" piece of white card stock, glossy side down onto the inked stamp and gently, but firmly rub over the back of the card stock to ensure that every part of the image is transferred onto it. Make sure not to let the card stock slide around on the stamp or you will end up with a very blurry image! To remove the card stock just pick up the stamp and flip it over. Again, this is to avoid a blurry image.
Your next step is to take an ordinary white crayon and highlight the areas of the stamp that you would like to have remain white. What happens is you will color over your image, then wipe the card stock with a tissue and it will remove any ink that is over the crayon highlights you colored. Now be sure to have a light hand in this! You want to avoid pressing the crayon too hard...it will look odd once you color it. Try to imagine a light-source over your object...in this case mine would be the sun. Look at the textures of the flower and leaves and see where they would have light bouncing off of them.
To color on glossy card stock you'll want to use either your classic ink pads or your Stampin' Write Markers. (Chalks will not work!) To use your ink pads, just press firmly on the outside of the pad between your fingers and then when you open it you will find a small pool of ink left on the inside of the cover. Here I used an Aqua Painter with my Mellow Moss ink pad. You can also use Blender Pens or a watercolor brush, whichever you feel most comfortable with.
I colored in the leaves without worrying about where I used the white crayon. And because I don't have a Barely Banana ink pad I used my Stampin' Write Marker to color in the petals of the flower. Just stay in the lines!
Next I used a tissue to gently wipe off the ink from the crayon-highlighted areas.

Then I used by Regal Rose marker to color in the area near the center of the flower.

I started to use my ticket corner punch on the corners here, but then I realized...

that I wanted a larger area taken away. So instead I used my Slit punch...ingenious, huh? (Yeah, I know, I'm not the first one to come up with that idea!)

Okay, so now back to the word Bonjour that you stamped at the beginning. I used my Color Spritzer tool and Regal Rose marker to speckle the card stock with color. However, you can use a sponge to do a similar effect.

Now center the word in the middle of the 1 3/8" Circle Punch. Remember to always punch your images by looking at the back side of the punch. This way you can see exactly what you'll be punching out and won't have any surprises! Then I just lined all around the edge of the circle using my Regal Rose marker to finish it.


Using a glue stick I adhered the first three layers of card stock. Don't glue it onto your Barely Banana card stock yet because you need to punch holes in the four corners. Add your gold brads next. What I like to do is to give one little smack to the back of the brads using my small hammer. This way they'll be really flat in the back and won't stick up once you glue this final layer onto your card.



To finish off this card I stuck a Stampin' Dimensional onto the back of the Bonjour circle to pop it up on the front for added depth. And I always decorate my envelopes as well, so I used my markers one last time to color directly onto a floral stamp in the Carte Postale stamp set and stamped it four times without recoloring the stamp. This way it gradiated up the front of the envelope and made it look so soft.

Well, that's it! I hope you enjoyed my card tutorial. Whew...what a project. Now I understand what goes into making these kinds of tutorials. My hats off to those of you who do such an amazing job on your blogs! I hope you enjoy mine, even in it's infant state and continue to come back to check out my latest projects. And, again, all comments are welcome. Bye for now!

No comments: